Everglades Agricultural Area Storage Reservoir Project
SFWMD Receives Federal Review Assessment of Proposed EAA Storage Reservoir Plan
On May 31, 2018, the South Florida Water Management District received and responded to a review assessment from the Assistant Secretary of the Army (ASA) for the feasibility study detailing SFWMD's proposed plan for the EAA Storage Reservoir.
The study was conducted under Section 203 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1986, as amended, that allows non-federal entities like SFWMD to develop feasibility studies. These proposed water resources development projects are then submitted to the ASA.
The ASA determined SFWMD’s plan for the EAA Storage Reservoir is feasible and made recommendations to Congress. The next step is for the Office of Management and Budget to conduct its review.
- Transmittal Letter from R.D. James, Assistant Secretary of the Army to Ernie Marks, SFWMD Executive Director [PDF]
- Section 203 SFWMD Central Everglades Planning Project Post Authorization Review Assessment [PDF]
- Addendum: SFWMD Central Everglades Planning Project, Post Authorization Change Report, Feasibility Study and Draft Environmental Impact Statement dated March 2018 [PDF]
- Response Letter from Federico Fernandez, SFWMD Governing Board Chairman, and Ernie Marks, SFWMD Executive Director, to R.D. James, Assistant Secretary of the Army [PDF]
On March 26, 2018, the South Florida Water Management District submitted its plan for the EAA Storage Reservoir to the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works for federal review, approval and submittal to Congress. In accordance with state law, the Post Authorization Change Report (PACR) seeks to increase the storage, treatment and conveyance of the congressionally authorized Central Everglades Planning Project (CEPP).
The Tentatively Selected Plan was developed to meet the goals set forth by the Florida Legislature when it passed Senate Bill 10 and to be consistent with the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP). The plan will reduce damaging discharges to the northern estuaries, deliver clean water for Everglades restoration and achieve water quality standards.
The plan was approved by the SFWMD Governing Board on March 8, 2018, and submitted to the Assistant Secretary along with an independent peer review that found the report to be technically sound.
Central Everglades Planning Project Post Authorization Change Report
- Transmittal Letter [PDF]
- Letter of Support from South Florida Congressional Delegation [PDF]
- Main Report [PDF]
- Progress Report to Legislature on SFWMD Implementation of Senate Bill 10 – Jan. 9, 2018 [PDF]
- DEP: Final Order Approving the SFWMD Central Everglades Planning Project Post Authorization Change Report – Everglades Agricultural Area Storage Reservoir – March 5, 2018 [PDF]
Background: Senate Bill 10
In May 2017, Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed legislation that provides more than $1 billion to increase water storage south of Lake Okeechobee as part of an effort to reduce harmful lake discharges to the Caloosahatchee and St. Lucie estuaries.
The Water Resources Law of 2017 (Laws of Florida, Chapter 2017-10, Senate Bill 10) directs the expedited design and construction of a water storage reservoir in the Everglades Agricultural Area (EAA) to provide for a significant increase in southern storage to reduce high-volume discharges from Lake Okeechobee.
A project component of CERP, the reservoir will be designed to hold at least 240,000 acre-feet of water and include water quality features necessary to meet state and federal water quality standards. The law requires the South Florida Water Management District to meet certain timelines for implementing the project. You can follow the District's progress at:
- Everglades Agricultural Area Reservoir Project Tracker
- Correspondence on EAA Storage Reservoir Project
As part of the extensive public process for the EAA Storage Reservoir Project, the District is conducting a series of computer modeling runs to inform the development of the project's features. As new modeling results are released, they will be posted at the FTP link below.
- Modeling Results [FTP]
- Instructions for Accessing and Downloading Modeling Files from FTP Site [PDF]
Public Planning Meetings
The District conducted a series of meetings to solicit public input on the EAA Storage Reservoir Project. Presentations, videos and materials from these meetings are posted in the archive below.
These public meetings were consistent with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process. The NEPA process provides an opportunity for the public to give input related to the project.
- Dec. 21, 2017 Public Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Cost Breakdown [PDF] • Video
- Dec. 13, 2017 Public Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video
- Dec. 5, 2017 Public Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video
- Nov. 29, 2017 Government Agency Coordination Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF]
- Nov. 16, 2017 Public Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video
- Nov. 15, 2017 Public Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video
- Nov. 6, 2017 Public Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video
- Oct. 31, 2017 Public Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video
- Oct. 26, 2017 Scoping Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video
- Oct. 23, 2017 Scoping Meeting: Agenda [PDF] • Presentation [PDF] • Video