Lake Okeechobee Watershed Restoration Project
Part of the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP), the Lake Okeechobee Watershed Restoration Project (LOWRP) is a planning effort being conducted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the South Florida Water Management District to identify opportunities to improve the quantity, timing and distribution of flows into the 730-square-mile lake. The project area, where placement of potential features are being considered, covers a large portion of the Lake Okeechobee Watershed north of the lake.
Key project objectives include:
- Increasing water storage capacity in the watershed, resulting in improved Lake Okeechobee water levels,
- Restoring wetlands, and
- Improving water supply for existing water users.
The current project footprint of the Recommended Plan (Alternative 1BWR) is available at this link:
The current placemat of the Recommended Plan (Alternative 1BWR) is available at this link:
For more detailed information on the project and to view the LOWRP Integrated Project Implementation Report and Environmental Impact Statement (PIR/EIS), see:
LOWRP Aquifer Storage and Recovery (ASR) Well Program
The Florida Legislature appropriated $100 million to the SFWMD for the Aquifer Storage and Recovery (ASR) Well component of LOWRP Based on some scientific uncertainties from previous ASR studies conducted under CERP and public interest regarding regional implementation of the technology, SFWMDs moving forward in a science-based phased approach for the design and construction of ASR wells. A peer review panel of expert Florida scientists are reviewing SFWMD’s Science Plan ;to review aspects of the ASR program and provide recommendations on its regional implementation in South Florida. Learn more about ASR Wells and the Science Plan.
Public Planning Workshops
The District conducted a series of workshops to solicit public input on plan alternatives for LOWRP.
- Landowner Workshop: June 18, 2018
- Letter from SFWMD to USACE- March 3, 2021
- Letter from USACE to SFWMD - Feb. 24, 2021
- Letter of Support to USACE- Feb. 4, 2020
- Letter to SFWMD: Pre-Partnership Credit Agreement - Aug. 28, 2019 [PDF]
- Letter to USACE: Pre-Partnership Credit Agreement - July 22, 2019 [PDF]
- Letter to Landowners in Potential Project Footprint – June 8, 2018 [PDF]