C-100A Canal Vegetation Removal Project
To ensure a 7-mile section of the C-100A Canal can continue to provide adequate flood protection for residents in the Villages of Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay, the South Florida Water Management District is conducting a phased tree removal effort. A total of seven, 1-mile phases will be completed through 2018.
To access and maintain the canal banks to provide optimal flood protection, the District has right-of-way easements along the canal situated on private property in Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay. Homeowners can view the easement areas on their property by clicking here. In addition, some residents have planted trees or added unpermitted enhancements (i.e., fences, docks, gazebos) within the easement. These trees and enhancements may need to be removed prior to the removal of trees on the a homeowner's property to allow the project to proceed. These enhancements may ultimately end up as obstructions during heavy rainfall, blocking drainage and causing flooding, as well as interfering with emergency flooding response.
Tree Removal Areas and Schedule
All impacted residents will be notified 30 days from the start date and again two weeks prior to the commencement of work in a specific area. District staff will continue to update residents impacted by the project until all work is complete. This web page will also be updated regularly with canal closures, property access details and project status updates.
- PHASE 1 – Winter 2017: The first phase began in mid-January 2017 with a 1-mile section from SW 124th Street (Chapman Field) to SW 136th Street (Howard Drive). The work is expected to be completed within 90 days. Please note this section of canal will be impassable to boat traffic while work is underway.
MAP: Phase 1 [PNG]
- PHASE 2 – Spring 2017: The second phase is scheduled to begin in April 2017 with a 1-mile section of from SW 112th Avenue (Killian Drive) to SW 124th Street (Chapman Field).
MAP: Phase 2 [PNG]
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES – Get the latest on the project
For More Information
- OVERVIEW PRESENTATION: C-100A Canal Flood Control Project [PDF]
- FIRST LETTER OF NOTICE: Letter to residents – Oct. 11, 2016 [PDF]
- SECOND LETTER OF NOTICE: Letter to residents – Dec. 14, 2016 [PDF]
- PHASE 1 LEGAL SURVEYS: C-100A Canal right-of-way easements with aerial photos [PDF]
- PHASE 2 LEGAL SURVEYS: C-100A Canal right-of-way easements with aerial photos [PDF]
- FACT SHEET: FYI: C-100 Series of Canal Maintenance [PDF]
- NEWS RELEASE: SFWMD Clearing Effort Helps Ensure the Safety of South Miami-Dade County Families – Feb. 2, 2017
- FAQs: Canal right-of-way permits [PDF]
- FACT SHEET: Keeping Canals Clear: How you can help [PDF]
- INFOGRAPHIC: Rain Drain: What to expect in your neighborhood when it rains [PDF]
Armando Vilaboy, SFWMD Regional Representative
(305) 513-3420, Ext. 7249