Everglades Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)
The Everglades Technical Oversight Committee (TOC) originated from the Settlement Agreement of July 11, 1991, as a mechanism for technical review and conflict resolution to support the Everglades Program begun by the Settlement Agreement and continued in the 1994 Everglades Forever Act (373.4592 Florida Statutes).
The 1991 Settlement Agreement ended the Everglades lawsuit and was entered into by the federal government, the State of Florida and the South Florida Water Management District. The subsequent Consent Decree, as modified in 1995, specified that interim and long-term phosphorus concentration levels for the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge must be met by Feb. 1, 1999, and Dec. 31, 2006, respectively. The Consent Decree also provides interim and long-term total phosphorus concentration limits for Everglades National Park effective Dec. 31, 2003 and Dec. 31, 2006, respectively. The Settlement Agreement calls for the construction of stormwater treatment areas to meet the long-term phosphorus limits and establishment of a regulatory program, with agricultural best management practices as a key component.
In accordance with the Joint Progress Report submitted to the U.S. District Court on Oct. 30, 1995, the TOC was organized for consensus building and dispute avoidance on technical issues related to Everglades monitoring, phosphorus management and applied research. The TOC meets at least quarterly to review and recommend applied research, monitoring and compliance conducted pursuant to the terms of the Settlement Agreement and to consider technical advice and assistance from consultants and appropriate state and federal agencies regarding Everglades Program activities. Although the TOC does not bind any party or person as an independent authority, it does provide a public forum to evaluate technical information, particularly as it relates to water quality management and compliance tracking in the Everglades Protection Area. The TOC's overall charge is to serve the needs of the parties to the Settlement Agreement to deliberate and communicate on technical matters.
TP Data Table
- Refuge TP Compliance Table, 2007 through First Quarter 2022 [PDF]
- Provisional Shark River Slough TP Tracking Report, First Quarter 2022 [PDF]
- Taylor Slough and Coastal Basin Tracking Report, First Quarter 2022 [PDF]
Settlement Agreement Reports and Related Documents
SECOND QUARTER 2022
- 2022 First Quarter - Settlement Agreement Report, January - March 2022
- 2022 First Quarter Quality Assessment Report for Water Quality Monitoring, January - March, 2022 - Revised
- 2022 First Quarter Quality Assessment Report for Water Quality Monitoring, January - March, 2022 Water Quality Data
Next Scheduled Quarterly Meeting
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Meeting is scheduled as a hybrid of in-person and virtual meeting formats and is listed on Public Calendar.
Location: SFWMD Headquarters, B-1 Building, 3301 Gun Club Road, West Palm Beach, FL 33406. TOC Members and the public may participate and provide public comment in-person or via Zoom, a media technology free for the public to use.
TELECONFERENCE AND WEB MEETING INFORMATION
Meeting ID and link to Zoom meeting:
Zoom Registration Link
Please see Agenda.
Below is a link to register. After you register, you will receive a link sent to your email address.
Meeting ID and Link to Web Meeting:
- If possible, please dial-in from a regular (land line) phone instead of a mobile phone or your computer.
- Please keep your phone on mute when not speaking.
- When speaking, please DO NOT use the speaker phone setting.
- Please note that the web broadcast of the meeting will have a few seconds delay compared to what you hear on the phone.
Everglades Technical Oversight Committee Meetings
TOC Member Agency Representatives
- Julianne T. LaRock, P.E., South Florida Water Management District
- Lori Miller, Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge
- Edward Smith, Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- Daniel Crawford, P.E., United States Army Corps of Engineers
- Donatto Surratt, Everglades National Park
For more information on the TOC, please contact Violeta Ciuca.
To request a TOC meeting transcript, please contact:
MEETINGS AND DOCUMENTS ARCHIVE
(NOTE: TOC meeting notes in this archive include embedded links for convenience. Due to updates to the SFWMD's website, links in meeting notes prior to October 2016 may no longer function. All documents linked in the meeting notes remain available in the archive below.)