Right of Way (ROW) Permits
Right of Way Permits protect our ability to effectively and safely use the canal and levee rights of way in our regional system while providing for compatible public and private uses such as docks, fences or walkways. The regional system includes canals and levees, major rivers and lakes, water conservation areas, the works of the Big Cypress Basin and certain other canals and rights of way. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
A Right of Way Occupancy Permit:
- Conveys no property rights to the permittee but acknowledges that the requested use is consistent with the applicable rules and District missions
- Is required prior to connecting with, placing structures in or across, discharging into or making use of the canal and levee system or "Works of the District" and certain other canals and Works
- Can be revoked
- Applies to rights of way acquired for the canal and levee system that makes up the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Central and Southern Florida Project and other canals and works
The Right of Way Occupancy Permit Program does not apply to lands acquired under Save Our Rivers, P-2000 or other District-sponsored land preservation or restoration projects.
The specific information required for Right of Way Occupancy Permits depends on the type of use proposed. District staff are required to collect sufficient information to establish that the proposed use will:
- Not interfere with the District's access, operations or maintenance activities
- Not adversely affect a previously authorized use of the right of way
- Meet the rules and criteria of chapters 373, F.S., and 40E-6, F.A.C.
Right of Way Permitting Fees
Application processing fees for Right of Way Occupancy Permits vary depending on the type of work proposed. In most cases, there is no fee for improvements proposed by single-family homeowners. Application processing fees can be found here.
Permit Submittal Location
3301 Gun Club Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
Phone: (561) 682-6973
Section Administrator, Right of Way
- North Big Cypress Basin (Counties: Collier, northern Glades, Highlands,
Martin, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Polk and St. Lucie)
- Central (Counties: Broward,southern Glades,Hendry and Palm Beach)
- South (County: Miami-Dade)