Special Use License (SUL)
In certain instances, a no-cost Special Use License issued by the District may be required for some activities as listed in Rule 40E-7.
To obtain a license, please read the Special Use License Application section below, click the link to the new online application and complete the form.
Special Use License Application
A Special Use License request is fully automated and only takes a few minutes to process.
To obtain a Special Use License, click here to access the new online application and follow these directions:
- From the map, select the site you want to visit.
- Choose the permit type you need.
- Before proceeding, the new form requires a one-time registration to allow users to view or change future reservations while providing added security. To register:
- Anyone who reserved a campsite after 2015: An account has already been created for you. Click "Forgot Password" and enter your email address to have a temporary password emailed to you.
- All others: Click "Add Account" and follow the instructions to create a new user account.
- If you need assistance, please contact Kim Willis at (561) 924-5310, ext. 3333.
- Select the dates for your permit.
- Confirm your application information and submit it.
After you have completed the application, a link to your Special Use License will be displayed for you to view or print. In addition, you will receive emails with the gate combination (if available) and a link to view or print your Special Use License. Instructions and important information about your visit to the site and instructions for displaying your Special Use License are also included. Please take the time to read through all of this information. Gate combinations are also printed at the bottom of the permit.
More things to know about Special Use Licenses:
- This permit must be in your possession at all times during your visit, either electronically or in paper form.
- Please note that a vehicle access authorization or equestrian license does not allow camping overnight.
- Commercial activity on District lands is prohibited under Rule 40E-7 F.A.C.
- You are required to include your first and last name on all Special Use Licenses or vehicle access authorizations.
NOTE: If you would prefer to print out and mail in the Special Use License application, directions and a link to the form are available on the Recreation web page.
Cancellations and Changes
If you are unable to keep a Special Use License for any reason or need to make a change, please log into the online application and update your reservation. The number of sites and Special Use Licenses are limited, and your cancellation will allow others an opportunity.
Closures and Notices
- A portion of the Florida National Scenic Trail has been temporarily closed just south of the S-65A navigation lock on the Kissimmee River. This part of the trail is currently impassable due to a breach in the eastern levee near the lock. More information will be posted here as it becomes available.
- UPDATED June 26, 2017: The temporary ban on all open fires and campfires has been lifted for SFWMD lands in all 16 counties.
- The S-65C boat ramp and camping area is closed permanently due to ongoing construction of the Kissimmee River Restoration Project. Boating access to the Kissimmee River is available at the Istokpoga Canal Boat Ramp Area and the S-65D Lock Boat Ramp. Camping is available in a variety of areas along the Kissimmee River, including the Istokpoga Canal Boat Ramp Area and Hickory Hammock Management Area.
For more information on recreational opportunities along the Kissimmee River, please visit www.sfwmd.gov/recreation.
- Please excuse the temporary inconvenience while improvements are being made to the DuPuis Equestrian Campground and equestrian facilities. During this time, the campground and equestrian center will remain open. If you have any further questions, please call Kim Willis at (561) 924-5310, ext. 3333.
Cypress Creek Natural Area Vehicle Access
If you would like to obtain a license for day use vehicle access to the District’s Cypress Creek property please click here. Persons with a Cypress Creek Natural Area vehicle access license must proceed approximately 1.2 miles from the gate to the designated parking area on District lands. This is an unimproved road and 4-wheel drive may be required.
Special Events, Large Groups and Fundraisers
The District has requirements that need to be met in order for groups to hold any type of organized event. If you are holding a fundraiser at a District site, certain insurance and specific wording on your event documents are required. If you are holding a special event, please contact the Land Manager in the area where you propose to use District lands or call Kim Willis at (561) 924-5310, ext. 3333, to see if this can be granted. Land Managers may be found in the Program Management section of the Natural Resources Management Activities on the District website.
Please note that Special Use Licenses do not entitle you to exclusive use of a site. If your group is larger than the number of available SULs for a site, an event authorization is required. Contact Kim Willis at (561) 924-5310, ext. 3333, for event authorization information.
NOTE FOR HUNTERS: No one who is hunting in the Kissimmee River Public Use Area is allowed to camp anywhere at the KICCO Wildlife Managenment Area (WMA). Public Use Area hunters in Pool A may camp at the Blanket Bay Marsh campground. Please note that the Blanket Bay Marsh campground is accessible only by boat.
KICCO: Camping is allowed without a Special Use License at the Packingham Campground (formerly referred to as the the Hunter's Campsite) during established hunting periods. (Note that you will have to park and walk 100 yards to the Packingham campsite.)
Please be sure to review the FWC rules and regulations for the property that you will be visiting. These can be found at myfwc.com.
- Archery: 9/10/16 - 9/13/16, 9/17/16 - 9/20/16, 9/25/16 - 9/27/16, & 10/1/16 - 10/4/16
- Muzzleloading Gun: 10/15/16 - 10/17/16
- Family hunt: 10/29/16 - 11/1/16
- General Gun: 11/5/16 - 1/9/16
- Small Game: 11/12/16 - 1/8/17
- Spring Turkey: 3/4/17 - 3/7/17, & 3/8/17 - 3/12/17
Allapattah Flats WMA is open to public access year round.
- Archery: 8/6/16 - 8/14/16
- Muzzleloading Gun: 9/3/16 - 9/5/16
- General Gun: 11/19/16 - 11/27/16
- Small Game: 12/3/16 - 1/1/17
- Spring Turkey: 3/4/17 - 3/7/17 , & 3/8/17 - 3/12/17
CREW WMA is open to public access year round except for equestrian use during quota permit hunts.
- Archery: 9/9/16 - 9/11/16, 9/16/16 - 9/18/16, & 9/23/16 - 9/25/16
- Muzzleloading Gun: 10/7/16 - 10/14/16, 10/14/16 - 10/16/16, & 10/21/16 - 10/23/16
- General Gun Mobility-impaired: 10/29/16 - 10/30/16
- General Gun: 11/4/16 - 11/6/16, & 11/11/16 - 11/13/16
- Wild Hog-Still: 11/15/16 - 11/17/16, 11/29/16 - 12/1/16, 4/8/17 - 4/16/17, & 5/13/17 - 5/21/17
- Small Game: 12/3/16 - 1/22/17
- Spring Turkey: 3/7/17 - 3/9/17, 3/17/17 - 3/19/17, & 3/24/17 - 3/26/17
The DuPuis Management Area is closed to public access during all hunts except Wild Hog-Still and Small Game.
- Wild Hog-Still: 9/16/16 - 9/18/16, 9/23/16 - 9/25/16, & 1/13/17 - 1/15/17
- Archery: 10/14/16 - 10/16/16
- Muzzleloading Gun: 10/22/16 - 10/24/16, & 10/26/16 - 10/28/16
- General Gun: 11/5/16 - 11/7/16
- Small Game: 11/14/16 - 11/27/16, & 1/23/17 - 3/5/17
- General Gun Mobility-Impaired: 12/10/16 - 12/11/16
- Spring Turkey: 3/23/17 - 3/25/17, & 4/13/17 - 4/15/17
Hickory Hammock WMA is open to public access year round.
- Archery: 9/17/16 - 9/18/16, 9/24/16 - 9/25/16, 10/1/16 - 10/2/16, 10/8/16 - 10/9/16, & 10/15/16 - 10/16/16
- Muzzleloading Gun: 10/22/16 - 10/23/16, & 10/29/16 - 10/30/16
- Wild Hog-Still: 11/12/16 - 11/13/16, 11/19/1 - 11/20/16, 11/26/16 -11/27/16, 12/3/16 - 12/4/16, & 12/10/16 - 12/11/16
- Small Game: 12/7/16 - 1/22/17
- Spring Turkey: 3/18/17 - 3/19/17, 3/25/17 - 3/26/17, 4/1/17 - 4/2/17, 4/8/17 - 4/9/17, 4/15/17 - 4/18/17
KICCO WMA is open to public access year round.
- Archery: Zone A 7/30/16 - 8/28/16, Zone C 9/17/16 - 10/16/16
- Crossbow: Zone A 8/29/16 - 9/2/16, Zone C 10/17/16 - 10/21/16
- Muzzleloading Gun: Zone A 9/3/16 - 9/16/16, Zone C 10/22/16 - 11/4/16
- General Gun: Zone A 10/17/16-10/16/16 & 11/19/16 - 1/1/17, Zone C 11/5/16 - 1/22/17
- Small Game: 10/8/16 -3/5/17
- Furbearer: Zone A 9/17/16 - 10/16/16, & 11/19/16 - 1/1/17, Zone C 11/5/16 -1/22/17
- Spring Turkey-Youth: Zone A 2/25/17 - 2/26/17, Zone C 3/11/17 - 3/12/17
- Spring Turkey: Zone A 3/4/17 - 4/9/17 Zone C 3/18/17 - 4/23/17
The Kissimmee River Public Use Area is open to public access year round.
The District has a 30 day per year limit for camping District-wide. Campers may stay for up to eight (8) consecutive days per visit. Consecutive reservations of eight (8) days are not permitted. You must leave a site for one day between visits.
Please note that a vehicle access authorization does not allow camping overnight.