SFWMD Recognizes Diverse Group of Men and Women as 2017 Team of the Year
Jan. 16, 2018
West Palm Beach, FL – The South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) Governing Board recognized the C-100A Obstruction Removal Project Team as its 2017 Team of the Year. The project team's work focused on clearing overgrown vegetation along a 7-mile stretch of the C-100A Canal in the Village of Pinecrest and Village of Palmetto Bay. Overgrown vegetation poses a significant threat during and after major weather events, when trees could fall into the canals and impede SFWMD flood protection operations.
"This team met and worked hand-in-hand with residents to identify which trees had to be removed due to their risk of falling and obstructing the flow of flood waters, as well as which trees could remain within the SFWMD's right-of-way," said SFWMD Executive Director Ernie Marks. "This personal touch was key in finishing a project that will protect Miami-Dade families, homes and businesses during the next extreme rainfall event."
The members of the SFWMD C-100A Canal Obstruction Removal Team include:
- Matthew Alexander, Section Leader
- Jesus Carrasco, Bureau Chief
- Leonora Cilli, Administrative Assistant
- Bill Eldridge, Crew Chief
- Steve Fairtrace, Senior Scientist
- John Hixenbaugh, Section Administrator
- Armando Villaboy, Regional Representative
- Bill Wilkins, Crew Chief
- Marcy Zehnder, Section Administrator